There's exciting news coming out of the NuStart Energy consortium this morning -- namely, that the group has announced that six areas are considered to be finalists for one of the consortium's two possible license applications for a new nuclear reactor:
Four of the six already house operating nuclear power plants. The sites, by location, are:As we noted back in March, Oswego has been publicly campaigning to get a spot on the list.
- Scottsboro, Ala. The Bellefonte Nuclear Plant, an unfinished site owned by the U.S. government's Tennessee Valley Authority.
- Port Gibson, Miss. The Grand Gulf Nuclear Station, owned by Entergy.
- St. Francisville, La. The River Bend Station, owned by Entergy.
- Aiken, S.C. The Savannah River Site, a U.S. Department of Energy nuclear weapons lab.
- Lusby, Md. The Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Plant, owned by Constellation Energy.
- Oswego, N.Y. The Nine Mile Point plant, owned by Constellation Energy.
Technorati tags: Nuclear Energy, Environment, Energy, Politics, Technology, Economics